Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sometimes the Small Things Pay Off! (Surprise Weight Loss in Napa Valley)

Today was Weigh Day. I was literally up all night, having taken the red-eye back from the West Coast to the East. I had gone over my points for the week due to travel situations and a surprise trip to Napa Valley. I had no Flex Points left to try the wine and cheese, but I wasn't going to pass up the rare opportunity.

The first thing I did when I got home from the airport was get on the scale. I was exhausted and hungry and convinced I wouldn't like the number, but I wanted to get it over with and know the situation. It turns out I had a loss again...a 1.2 lb loss! It felt like a gift from heaven.

Tonight I'm thinking about how I was able to show a loss when I went over my points for the week. I think what helped was that this week the small things, my good choices, really added up. In the past I would have gotten frustrated once I felt I had "failed" for the week, and given up. I would have gone overboard for the rest of the week and given in to the cravings to stress eat. Not this time!

 I was tired and stressed with work and craving soda and snacks from the hotel vending. Instead, I walked to a nearby grocery store and bought some 2 PP yogurt for a snack, a Lean Cuisine meal and pop-chips for lunch. I also bought lots of fruit and pre-washed sugar-snap peas & cherry tomatoes to take on the plane. Then I let myself snack while I worked - on vegetables!

Other small things I did on this trip:

  • I looked for excuses to walk, and left my computer in the middle of the work day  for short walks. 
  • When I splurged, it tended to be on healthier foods, like sushi. 
  • I found an airport shop that offered pre-boiled eggs and washed grapes, which I bought to snack on the 6 hour flight. 
  • I rarely snacked between meals on this trip.
  • I left food on my plate! One night my only food option was a late night burger pub.  I ordered a small burger, but didn't like it, so I only had a few bites. Instead I let myself really enjoy a couple onion rings and a few fries, and in the end I think this strategy made me more satisfied and prevented a binge. In the past I would have just gorged myself on the burger anyway because I was hungry, or tired or stressed. 

So..yes...I went over my weekly Points Plus allowance...yes...I could have done better and been more focused. I stress ate and ate because I was tired. BUT, I really enjoyed the meals and experiences I did have, and made healthy choices at least 75% of this week. So, I feel encouraged to know that it mattered. These small things mattered. They added up...to another loss!!

Enjoy my pictures from Napa Valley below. I am eager to go back!

Destination #1: “Me Minus 10%” - Distance, 16 lbs / 9.8 Remaining! 
Destination #2: “Normal” - Distance, 28 lbs / 21.8 Remaining!
Final Destination: “Happy Weight” -  Distance 39 lbs 32.8 Remainin
g

No comments:

Post a Comment