Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Great Crunch 'n Munch Debacle of 2013

July 9, 2013
Destination #1: “Me Minus 10%” - Distance, 16 lbs / 11 Remaining! 
Destination #2: “Normal” - Distance, 28 lbs / 23 Remaining!
Final Destination: “Happy Weight” -  Distance 39 lbs 33.8 Remainin
g


Independence Day week was a weight-loss-war-zone. Imagine...4 1/2 days with no work, 3 Visits to Beach Bars, 3 BBQs, 1 Traditional Flag Cake, 5 Meals Out and Fruity Cocktails Everywhere!!

This was my true test! I fought so hard, and I so badly wanted to subtract more pounds from my body this week. I drank diet soda while my friends guzzled fruity drinks. I watched my boyfriend devour pasta and garlic bread at a restaurant while I ate a salad with balsamic vinaigrette. I prudently controlled my splurges...a mojito here, a tiny ice cream there.

Everything was going so smoothly, until the day before my weigh in, when I was attacked by a box of dated Crunch 'n Munch hidden in the back of the cabinet.  It jumped from the cabinet, and forced me to eat it! I swear.

At least, that is how I remember it. A third-party observer might say that I got quite stressed going back to work on Monday. (My "weigh days" are Tuesdays.) By the end of the day on Monday I was overtired, dehydrated and stressed. Although I should have been in bed, I was watching TV. 

That's when it happened - a voracious sweet snack-attack came upon me. It was as if I was possessed! I ran from the couch, seeking anything sweet in the kitchen, hunting for food like a wild animal. I was coming up empty handed, finding only fresh fruit. After one last look in the pantry I found a very historic box of Crunch 'N Munch tucked behind crackers and popcorn. I'm not sure how long it was there, but the humidity had hardened all of the Crunch 'n Munch into a giant solid snack blob. Unfortunately, that did not deter me. I ripped it into sections, and gnawed on it like a chipmunk. I probably looked like a vampire from the movies, hunched over after reluctantly tearing into a fresh victim.

The next morning I awoke, ashamed. I don't even like Crunch 'n Munch! Why, oh, why did I eat it?  I crawled to the scale, stood on it, closed my eyes, got off, stood on it again, mustered courage, and looked down. All hope was not lost! In the end, I squeaked out a narrow weight loss margin! A .2 loss over the holiday week! Time to celebrate!!!

Dear self, please learn from the Great Crunch 'n Munch Debacle:
1) Get rid of anything that might tempt you in moments of weakness
2) Stay hydrated, dammit. Water is free.
3) Hey genius, go to bed when you are tired!


PS - I counted the Crunch 'n Munch in my tracker, painful as it was. I did go over my points for the week, but still showed that tiny loss! And that tiny loss brought me to my "first five" pound loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment